Sunday, November 7, 2010

Post Class Jameson

This week in class (although it was shortened) we tried again to unpack/analyze more writings from different postmodern theorists. Although I confused him for Hebdige in my last post - the Jameson reading really stuck out for me, I was able to male connections to a lot of his main ideas and quotes that were explained in the class power point. One quote that I agreed with was on page 484 where Jameson wrote "...every position on postmodernism in culture...[is] an implicitly or explicitly political stance on thenature of multinational capitalism today". I felt like this is true for lots of individual reasons (also some stuff that we've been learning in Sociology class applies here) but I think the reason why I liked it so much was because here Jameson was explaining/describing opinions/feelings on this topic instead of proclaiming his stance, simplification is always nice in CMC.

Another thing that came to mind after I finished my post and got done reading some of the others that separate classmates had done, was the 2012 Mayan Calendar thingy. In his writing, Jameson discussed 'Millennarianism' which is more or less the notion of the rapture/apocalypse (Y2K, Ground Zero, Heavens Gate Cult, etc). We see how our society of fear plays a role in the transcription of each of these events but can something as vague as this ancient civilization's calendar/predictions be labeled under 'Millennarianism'? If it was me i'd say yes just due to all the fuss/concern that it was created but I was looking for some sort of clarification.

on my honor i have not given, nor recieved, nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment