Sunday, November 7, 2010

Post Class Post for 11/7

This week in class as we came across the Jameson reading I really felt like I had finally reached my true CMC “Ah-Ha” moment. I clearly went through this reading very confused but as we unpacked the concepts and ideas in class it hit me and all came together. Quickly I was able to see how de Saussure and Barthes along with Baudrillard and Zizek all related to Jameson. This was astounding to me but has really helped my individual understanding of these theorists. What really stuck to me thought which we talked about in class was Jameson’s concept of “Millenarianism.” Specifically as I mentioned in our conversation on Tuesday the “Y2K” scare really affected my family, and I was really nervous about the potential results in regards to technology changes going into the millennia. My grandfather’s wife who was working in computer systems as a lead manager for a huge firm was startled by the actions of the people working both with her and under her. She felt so pressured by the situation that she decided to retire early with fear of letting down the company god forbid the “Y2K” scare actually took place. While it seems stupid looking back at the time we were all nervous about the situation and it tremendously contributed to the welfare of my family at the time. When the Millennia finally came it was more than a relief to see that there would not be any long term technology defects. While it was stressful and upsetting that the notion of such a problem existed it is important now to realize that living in fear, as many of our theorists discuss hurt us daily. While we are willing to watch and be entertained by the terror elsewhere, today in the United States we create and enable the fear of our society. By being active in making it aware to our communities the reality of many situations hopefully one day we will be a fearless place on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment