Sunday, October 24, 2010

Post Class Blog 10/24

This week in class as we came across Louis Althusser’s ideas on ideology I was dumbfounded. Although I have studied this previously in my CMC 100 course I found it even harder to accept than previously. On Thursday in class we also talked specifically about individuals as active agents and the “Golden Rule.” This really hit home for me. As mentioned we talked about multiple instances where we have experienced in our personal lives how ideology tells us one way is always better than the other. That one way seems consistently to remind us that the constructed way is the only way. This is clearly present in our society from type of internet (dial-up or high-speed) to the way we perceive what the best education is for our children (private school verses public.) In relation to the “Golden Rule” is it clear that ideology rules nearly all of us! This is so disturbing to me, since I have high-speed internet that makes me better than the person who has dial-up internet even if it is what they prefer? In my opinion, it is far from what someone has materialistically or believes in (agrees with the ideologues of this time in society) that makes them “Rule.” Fortunately for me, I was raised in a very generous family but never thought that what I had or wanted was better than others around me. My parents never pushed certain dominant ideologies on me or gave me the next best thing just because. By instilling the ideas of working towards what I wanted rather than what others wanted and or had based on what the ideologies told them I am able to step back and realize the harmfulness these ideologies cause. Don’t get me wrong, there are certain things that I want and only want because they are the next best thing, but I am still aware of what my desires mean and how this want for them effects me and those around me. If ideologies continue to dictate the means of our society there are going to be few “real” people left on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment