Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pre-Post for 10/7

This week we finally came across an article mostly based on Disney. I’m going to be honest, I love Disney and even as a CMC student I still enjoy spending time there. However, I am intrigued by different things now that I am constantly critically analyzing everything I see in our culture. In the beginning of the Dorfman and Mattelart reading I did not know what to expect, it seemed what they were saying I already knew. By the time I got to the third paragraph I was intrigued by a specific passage that really gave me an “A HA” moment. I think you know what I mean, but in case you don’t, it was a moment of realization that really excited me and made sense to me. The part of the passage I am referring to is as follows: “Disney is the great supranational bridge across which all human beings may communicate with each other. And amidst so much sweetness and light, the registered trademark becomes invisible.” (123) This immediately clicked for me. When I studied abroad for a semester in high school there were both language and cultural barriers I had to overcome with the natives. The topic of Disney was something we could talk about and all understand. Most importantly though, it wasn’t about the brand name or the reputation of Disney but about that it was a common factor in our lives. We all had different experiences with it, for me i physically been there in addition to movies and toys etc, and for others they only knew Disney for the products, but it did not matter. Similarly, I have spent much of my life babysitting and when all else fails for conversation topic, Disney always works! I think it is incredible the spread and existence of Disney in the majority of cultures. I couldn’t agree with our authors more.

No comments:

Post a Comment