Sunday, September 19, 2010

post class -tlloyd

I really enjoyed this week’s class on Jenks and postmodern architecture. Architecture is something that has intrigued me for a long time and in turn has become a passion of mine. Using architecture as an example of post modernity really helped me connect with the content and postmodern theory. Unlike modern architecture, postmodern architecture creates unique forms that aren’t necessarily in sync with their surroundings or even serve a purpose. Postmodern forms allow for freedom of expression and for the artist to push the envelope in creating something that does not necessarily make sense.

I remember going to Barcelona over the summer of my sophomore year of high school and falling in love with the architecture that the city had to offer. We visited Park Guell and the Sagrada Familia as well as Gaudi’s house. His structures were like nothing I had ever seen before. We also visted the Dali museum and again I was astounded by the unique nature of his work. Coming from a conservative city with relatively traditional and modern architecture, this is the first time I had been truly exposed to a plethora of postmodern design. What strikes me about it is the pure creativity that lives within these works. There is a sense of authenticity and they truly create an aura.

photo.php.jpg

Dali Museum 2006

As Kelsey mention in her post, the Sydney Opera House is another amazing piece of postmodern architecture. In London, the Gherkin and MI6 building are also examples of postmodern designs.


photo.php.jpg

Sydney Opera House 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment