Sunday, September 19, 2010

Irishgold37, 9/16

"Art in our culture is what we say it is..." I found this to be a very interesting concept. When I think of art I perceive it as an object that took creativity, skill and technique to create. However my high school coach had a different view on art. Right above her mantle hangs a 4x3 foot painting. The canvas was completely blank except for three to four lines right in the middle of it. The lines did not create any symbol, shape or design. They were just a bunch of squiggly lines. She found this painting to be art and she proudly displayed it as the focal point in her living room. However, I did not see what was so great about this painting, I did not see it as art. So I asked her the importance of it, she told me that an elephant had painted it and she actually saw it create it. It was authentic art. They painting had an aura, history and experience attached to it. That's why she considered the object as art. This made me re-think my definition of art. Maybe art has more to do with the aura and experience than just the visual aesthetics and skill.

-HC

No comments:

Post a Comment