Sunday, September 26, 2010

Post Class Post Habermas

In addition to cwswimmer6's post, I also wanted to talk about Habermas' notion of 'the cult of the new' in Modernity An Unfinished Project and it's modern mentality. In his writing Habermas stresses our societal yearning for the newest, fastest, most efficient products our there, this 'desire' that goes against cultural traditions (another thing Habermas talks a lot about) relates to his idea of 'Hyperstimulated sensitivity' and how our generation in particular has become so reliable on technology in our everyday lives.

It's sad to admit but without my phone and/or laptop I'd probably go crazy and feel like I literally have nothing - which just isn't true but we've been made to think otherwise. While I'm not too particular about getting the latest and greatest gear, I do have a Black Berry and a new Apple Laptop, in both the computer/cell phone industries we witness through advertisements online, on television, the radio, etc. the release of hundreds of new models a year. Over time these various gadgets lose value, are replicated, edited, and distanced from the most popular tools -- this is where I feel Walter Benjamins Mechanical Reproduction could come in handy in terms of relation to the material.

Another quote I liked (or eventually like after I learned it's meaning) was when Habermas stated "modernism is a yearning for true presence" (159)

On my honor, I have not given, nor received, nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this work"

No comments:

Post a Comment