Thursday, September 30, 2010

Post-Class

Tuesday's conversation about perception made me read over Baudrillard again- it's kind of depressing, constantly thinking that what I see is probably not real. Rather than think about representations of this idea, such as Memento and The Matrix, I thought about what I've learned so far from my surroundings and the teachings from the CMC major. And, not surprisingly, I got a little annoyed. There are certain things that should be trusted. I want to trust that teachers aren't lying to me-- but what do you call teaching religious doctrine via history books in Texas? I want my politicians to be humanitarians and do what's best for the people they represent- but politicians have the corruption stereotype for a reason. I trust law enforcement to protect me-- but there's never that guarantee. And I want the media to tell me the entire story, not this bullshit about "some people say" or "the authorities" or the rest of the anonymous world. So I watch the news and I get angry, because chances are that's not what happened. But "the authorities" are clever-- those who speak out vehemently against the mainstream media quoting independent sources and the rare journalist not under a corporate thumb are radicals, crazy people who may as well be charged with treason. I can never be sure that whole clips of real life are being played, or things are being photoshopped. As a result of this uncertainty and lack of reality in everyday life, I'm left feeling a little alone, like this knowledge I'm acquiring is not general knowledge, and I'm thought to be one of those crazy people gaping at the ignorance of Glenn Beck or O'Reilly. I would consider whole truths a key part in knowing reality, and what's real- and I seriously feel like I am in a desert, with not a lot of people with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment