Friday, September 24, 2010

This week as we discussed both Lyotard and Habermas and came to a common ground as to why they disagree for the most part I was confused initially. However, I really enjoyed the Habermas reading because it really seemed to me to relate the most to the constant motions of everyday life in the 21st century. Specifically, I was stuck on the idea of the “cult of the new” (p.99) After our class discussion and the realization of how relevant this is for all of the generations in today’s society. I found it fascinating after our class discussion when I was watching TV and came across multiple TV advertisements that were selling, “the bigger, better, faster.” However, last night after class I had an interview for a job I’m very interested in. I went to the interview and as I sat and discussed some of the job criteria with the boss I came across something very interesting. The boss asked me if I knew how to use itunes. In my head I was thinking of course I know how to use itunes you idiot! I was naïve in thinking everyone knows how to use itunes, but that is part of our culture these days. What brings me to this topic is that the boss informed his Mac laptop was so far behind the time (2007) that itunes did not work on his computer and he had to purchase a new to get it which he needed for his business. I thought this was a great example of how our world is all about the “bigger, better, faster.” It is sad to think that the market thrives so well on our need or want for thing to the extent that it is absolutely necessary to purchase the newest in order to get an application from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment