Sunday, September 26, 2010

Post Class 9/26

In class on Thursday our class discussed the rest of the Lyotard reading and then started to go over the Habermas reading. What stuck out in my mind was the concept of bricolage. Bricolage is a variety of things coming together and staying together. We talked about how bricolage derives from the belief of going into a different ethnographic culture that is not your own and observe that different culture. We talked about this is hard because when one enters a different culture, the culture will change because it knows it is being observed.

I can relate to this from a communication class that I took last year, which was intercultural communication. For our essay in this class we had to write what our professor called an ethnographic essay. For this essay we had to interview someone that was culturally different than us and describe what that culture is like. We also had to do an exercise called a “cultural experience.” Here we had to plan a day with the person we were interviewing put ourselves into their culture. For mine, I went to my friends for Thanksgiving. He is from Venezuela and they do things a little differently than my family would do on Thanksgiving. While I was there every one of his family members knew that I was doing this project and the atmosphere of the dinner was different in their terms because they all knew what I was trying to do. However, after a few minutes everyone carried on normally and forgot about my project and just took me in as one of their own. The concept of bricolage here was in effect but once everyone got comfortable they went back to doing what they “normally” do. Bricolage should be studied we need to have the knowledge of what is normal in other cultures.

On my honor I have not given nor received nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment