Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Post Class Post 9/23

In class on Thursday we finished our discussion on Lyotard and began talking about Habermas. I found the Habermas reading/in class discussion to be very interesting and real. I have found that I personally enjoy learning about Commodity Fetishism and the ideologies behind it so when Habermas talked about "the cult of the new" I found it very interesting.

The cult of the new has to do with how we in society like new things. We like being shocked or exposed to things that we haven't been exposed to before. We talked about how advertisements create the cult of the new. An example that really resonated with me was new cell phone advertisements. It seems like there are new cell phones coming out on a regular basis which leaves us the consumers, always wanting the next best thing. However, because knowledge will always grow and technology will continue advancing, we will never have THE best cell phone or THE best tv because although it may be top of the line at a given time, it won't be long until something bigger, better, faster, or stronger comes out.

Applying this to my own life, a couple months ago I bought the newer version of my old blackberry and now, the Blackberry Torch just came out and I want that. Here is the Blackberry Torch Commercial by AT&T as an example of cult of the new:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCrRHGubYDM

No comments:

Post a Comment