Monday, September 20, 2010

Benjamin Post Class

Sorry I'm late! I clicked "save", not "publish". =(

The Benjamin post was one that I actually understood, and after the class discussion I felt more confident in my newly obtained knowledge on the subject. One thing that really stood out to me was the general concept of authenticity. Music is a huge part of my life, and when I was writing for the Orlando Sentinel I was so adamant on writing about an artist's originality. I absolutely HATE music today, especially on the radio. The abundance of blatantly bad music is upsetting- all this autotune nonsense and poor excuses for lyrics make me wish that we could bring back the originality found in the insanity of Iggy Pop or the songs of empowerment and respect in Tupac. According to Benjamin, something gets lost when it is duplicated- when I hear an 80's classic beat behind degrading lyrics I would rather listen to white noise. It's kind of depressing to know that this was written more than half a century ago and something is always getting lost. The fact that originality more than often comes with a high price tag rather than genuine appreciation is a problem within itself, but I do find comfort in things that are new. Even though Lady Gaga has blown up the airwaves and has taken over, I find her so refreshing because she's made her music, the music videos, and fashion in general her own- and I think that Benjamin would appreciate that originality.

No comments:

Post a Comment