Sunday, September 5, 2010

cam3g 9/2

The reading that helped me the most in trying to understand modernity and modernism was "Oxford Art Online". Dr. Cummings emphasized the point of postmodernism as a change of thought throughout society. The question I have is what made society feel like it needed to change the way people think? My question was partially answered in class when we talked about the rapid change in new technologies. I knew that was part of the reason why I felt like there was more to this answer. When I read this article the one quote that caught my eye was "It is an unfolding of active processes, of changes in all spheres, away from accepted traditions, customary conventions and current practices towards imaginary, often utopian futures" (1). To me, this means society (during any time period) is always trying to make the world some kind of fantasy place. By trying to do this, society is constantly changing because no matter how good life is or how technologically advanced we are, we're always trying to make it better. We're constantly trying to make the world "the perfect place". This made me understand how we went from the modern, to the post-modern.

"On my honor, I have not given, nor received, nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this blog."

No comments:

Post a Comment