Wednesday, September 8, 2010

For Thursday’s class, we had to read A Theory of Literary Production by Pierre Macherey. I found this chapter particularly relevant to me as I have studied silence as a means of communication through my communication minor. I learned that we cannot not communicate. Take the example of not staying in touch with a family member, that family member will probably think that you are angry with them, or do not care for them as you are not taking the time to contact them and see how they are. The ‘silent treatment’ can show a person that you are angry with them or that your relationship is over. Silence is a form of communication.

Silence has multiple meanings. It can show different emotions and states of being. For example, we’ve all had that moment of awkward silence. On the other hand, with good friends and family sometimes silence shows that you are comfortable enough together where you do not have to be constantly talking. Silence can also show that one is in a state of shock. Perhaps one doesn’t know how to react to a situation. Personally, I know that when I have had a traumatic experience, I do not know how to react and I am so overwhelmed with different emotions that I do not know how to begin to express myself. I am literally at a loss for words.

In terms of forms of media, if you look at pictures in a magazine that have no words or titles you might regard as ‘silent’. However, the image itself is far from silent in that it is evoking a certain message to the audience. “A picture is worth a thousand words” perfectly describes this concept. I find that in terms of persuading audiences, pictures can be more persuasive than a spoken speech as they can cut to the point and appeal more to one’s emotional side.
"On my honor I have not given nor received nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this blog"

No comments:

Post a Comment