Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post Class Response 9/12

This week during class discussions I was intrigued by many of the things I learned, especially from my classmates. However, I found myself going back to a specific idea that was clearly an important one. That was the idea of the “System.” I really thought about it. What is a system? Merriam Webster dictionary presented five definitions most with 4 or 5 parts, but most commonly named a system the following: “a regularly interacting or interdependent group of items forming a unified whole.” In class we specifically mentioned how all of us are part of many systems whether it is within Rollins, our family, or our close circle of friends. I know what a system is, but I never thought about it the way Merriam Webster presented it, in the sense that the parts are interdependent. After I looked it up I thought about it all weekend I watched as the interdependent parts of my system went to work. In my experience I found that its not just one step, then the next, and the next. The system is like a merry-go-round. Without the systems we have in our daily lives both intentional and not we wouldn’t make it through the day. My roommate and I have a system for example, I cook dinner every night, and often then she does the dishes. I rely on her to clean the dishes and she relies on me to make the dinner, we need each other to both eat and keep the kitchen clean. IF one of us fails to fulfill our part of the system we both fail. I found a connection between intertextuality and system. Intertextuality are related with all ideas deriving from or related to something to do with previous texts. Intertextuality also has factors that are interdependent on one another like that of a system. I know this idea seems farfetched, but think about it without the previous knowledge you gained you can’t continue further and nor could you gain that knowledge had you not learned something before that. So think about how interdependent the parts of your life are.

No comments:

Post a Comment